Here's a lovely warming recipe from Jon the Butcher this month. Perfect for a cosy kitchen supper with swede and celeriac mash.
1-2 tbsp olive oil or 50g butter
1 bouquet garni
1 good, fat pheasant
115g diced smoked streaky bacon
A little plain flour
1tbsp Quince jelly
Glass of red or white wine
Salt and pepper
600ml chicken stock
- Preheat the oven to 170C.
- Heat the oil/butter in a frying pan and brown the pheasant on all sides.
- Transfer to a lidded casserole dish and keep warm in oven.
- Sauté the bacon in the remaining fat and add the onion fry until golden.
- Combine bacon and onion with the bird, add wine and let it bubble briefly before adding the stock and bouquet garni. Season.
- Return casserole with lid on to the oven and cook for 1 1/2-2 hours.
- Add extra stock if needed, the pheasant should be covered.
- Towards the end of cooking time add mushrooms.
- Make gravy of the liquid, adding the flour to thicken and the Quince.
- Serve pheasant with vegetables, swede and celeriac mash pouring over the Quince gravy.
Keep an eye on our social channels for menu updates and pictures, and please do tag us when you snap and share your own foodie pics. We'll always ask for your permission if we'd like to repost anything. @thepointerbrill #thepointerbrill